Back to Humanities
The Role of Men and Women in China
1. What factors determined someone’s role in Chinese society?
Family status, occupation, age, sex (gender), and intelligence
2. Know 3 differences between men and women in early Chinese Society.
The Role of Men
· Considered strong and intelligent
· Leaders of families
· Honored for wisdom and strength
· Ran government
· Craft making soldiers
· Take care of and protect the weak
The Role of Women
· Considered weak and unintelligent
· Suppose to serve the needs of men
· put other first and herself last
· Care taker of her husband
· Should educate themselves
3. According to Pan Chao, what were the 4 qualifications of a good woman? Describe each qualification?
a. womanly virtue – modesty pure thought, act, and word
b. womanly words – choose words carefully, speak at the right tie.
c. womanly bearing – bathe regularly, clean clothes
d. womanly work—likes sewing and weaving, no gossip, prepare food for guests